Several states have reported an unknown respiratory illness sickening dogs. Here’s what we know, why you shouldn’t panic, and what you can do to keep your dog healthy.
What is this illness?
A mysterious dog illness similar to Kennel cough is spreading and it’s not responding easily to treatment.
What are the symptoms of the mystery dog illness?
- Chronic cough
- Unusual fatigue
- Discharge from eye and/or nose
- Blue or purple gums
- Chronic pneumonia that doesn’t respond to antibiotics
Dogs with this illness might exhibit reduced appetite and hydration. Additionally, the cough associated with this condition tends to linger for an extended period, persisting for weeks.
The Cornell Canine Health Center reports that this illness proves unresponsive to typical treatments and doesn't yield positive test results for common respiratory dog illnesses.
How it spreads
While specifics about this particular mysterious dog illness might be uncertain, respiratory diseases often spread through direct contact with infected animals, exposure to airborne droplets from sneezing or coughing, and contact with contaminated surfaces.
To safeguard your dog:
- Steer clear of high-risk environments like boarding kennels, dog parks, and doggy day care facilities if uncertain about other dogs' health statuses there.
- Avoid sharing dog bowls, toys, or chews among dogs.
- Ensure your dog's routine vaccinations are up to date; consult your veterinarian if unsure about vaccination history.
- Take extra steps to boost your dog’s immune system
How to boost your dog’s immune system
- Nutritious Diet: Providing a balanced and high-quality diet supports your dog's immune system. Incorporate essential nutrients, vitamins, and minerals that strengthen immunity. Consult your veterinarian for dietary recommendations tailored to your dog's needs.
- Reducing Stress: Stress can weaken the immune system. Create a calm and comfortable environment for your dog, ensuring plenty of exercise, mental stimulation, and a predictable routine to minimize stressors.
- Pre- and Probiotics: These supplements can promote a healthy gut, where a significant portion of the immune system resides. Consider incorporating prebiotics and probiotics into your dog's diet to support a balanced gut microbiome.
- Clean Bowls & Toys: Regularly clean and disinfect your dog's food and water bowls, as well as their toys, to prevent the buildup of harmful bacteria and pathogens that could compromise their immune health.
- Frequent Baths: Bathing your dog regularly with suitable shampoos helps remove dirt, allergens, and potential pathogens from their coat, reducing the chances of skin infections and supporting overall hygiene.
Amid concerns about the mysterious respiratory illness affecting dogs, it’s essential to take proactive steps to boost your furry friend's immune system. While various measures can help, ensuring your dog's nutrition is optimal stands out as a key factor.
Consider incorporating Jiminy's insect-based dog food into your pet's diet. Formulated by experts in veterinary care and canine nutrition, Jiminy's offers a unique and nutritious solution.
Our Good Grub Dog Food, made with insect protein, provides a highly digestible, high-quality protein source that supports muscle health, digestion, and notably, boosts the immune system.
Jiminy’s Good Grub promotes better health for your pet, enhancing appetite and digestion, improving vitality, and crucially, supporting a robust immune system. Additionally, insect protein serves as a natural prebiotic, aiding in healthy digestion.